Denmark 2016 - Copenhagen


The Royal Danish Playhouse, Copenhagen Denmark

An aerial photograph of Øresund Bridge put Denmark on my radar, and as was the tradition at the time my girlfriend and I booked a Christmas vacation. Based in Copenhagen Island we were a few kilometres from the centre, but the room was great. In the mornings and evenings the underfloor heating in the bathroom was especially appreciated (temperatures outside were often close to zero degrees). The city itself was perpetually overcast, and I don't recall seeing sunshine during the entire stay. Yet despite the bitterly cold conditions groups of locals could regularly be seen donning Speedos and caps for a swim in the harbour! We spent several days exploring, including a visit to the (in)famous Freetown Christiana. Whilst I can imagine it being a blast back in its hippy commune days, the open drug dealing and sleazy atmosphere gave me the impression it's not somewhere you'd like to be at night. Eventually we did cross the Øresund and spent a day in Malmö, where I went off to see the Turning Torso, crossing another impressive structure off my architectural wish list. A receptionist had told us there isn't any specific location popular for bringing in the New Year, and since we had a good view of Tivoli Gardens we decided to stock up on drinks and celebrate from the comfort (and warmth) of the hotel.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argentina 2019 - Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego

England 2010 - The Peak District