Hungary 2011 - Budapest and Balaton






Fisherman's Bastion, Budapest Hungary

I had finally finished my first year of university, and found myself with some weeks available for travel during the summer break. Research into the cost of flights and accommodation showed Eastern Europe to be quite affordable so I went on a tour. It began in Hungary's capital city, Budapest. I was impressed from the moment I arrived. The Danube cuts through the city separating the districts of Buda and Pest, and is criss-crossed by a number of bridges so distinct in character they serve as perfect landmarks for navigating. I happened to be there during the Saint Stephen's Day celebrations, and saw the most amazing fireworks display I've ever seen in my life. Thousands of people were gathered on both banks of the river, all the way from Chain Bridge to Liberty Bridge. The atmosphere was electric. Explosions from the fireworks could be felt in your chest, and massive booms echoed around city sending flocks of birds fleeing from the area. All of this with the city's Buda Castle and Parliament Building illuminated and providing a complementary backdrop. It was stunning. No visit would be complete without a night (or several) out in the famous ruin bars, and although Szimpla is the oldest and most famous there are many others less crowded and with just as much character. I left the hustle and bustle of the city to spend a while exploring Lake Balaton and its surrounding towns and villages. Hullam Hostel in Révfülöp became my base and it's highly recommend. Every day several members of staff worked in the rear garden area peeling and chopping vegetables and other ingredients into a huge cauldron. Then in the evenings guests could dine on delicious goulash at a very reasonable price. I made my way around the lake hitchhiking, something I hadn't done for years. But it was very safe and the local people were extremely friendly. After a circuit of the lake I returned to the city, and was almost ready to move on when I came across the DarkArt Tatoo studio. I was in the market for some coverup work, and was very impressed with the quality of their artists. I had some work done by Adrián Kupcsik, who was guesting at the studio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argentina 2019 - Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego

England 2010 - The Peak District