New Zealand 2008

Mount Ngauruhoe. Tongariro National Park

My second visit to New Zealand was a completely different experience. It wasn't necessary to rush around the country, because I'd already seen so much of it and I now had the luxury of time. I settled into Auckland and got an office job, which enabled me to rent a small apartment with great views over Rangitoto Volcano and Waiheke Island. I would work Monday to Friday and go on road trips at the weekends and during vacations. It was a nice life, and for my birthday that year I did the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. It's known for being the best one day hike in the country, and a famous feature is the Emerald Pools towards the end of the route. By the time we got there the weather had closed in and it was so foggy you couldn't see much, although the sun did come out once the pools were long behind us. That's alpine conditions for you! Back in the office a new member joined the team, and once we got chatting he explained that he usually taught English but was taking a break through the summer. He spoke at length about how much he enjoyed the job and the freedom it gave him to travel. The seed was sown and I started to research routes into the profession. It could have been as simple as a short online course with little in the way of entry requirements. But having left secondary school with no formal qualifications, I realised this was as good a time as any to rectify past mistakes and return to education. One day on a visit to Karekare, I made the firm decision that when my time in New Zealand was over I would return to England and pursue a university degree. What came next was five years of continuous study.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argentina 2019 - Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego

England 2010 - The Peak District