Newzealand 2007 - South Island (Christchurch to Franz Josef)

Franz Josef Glacier. Westland Tai Poutini National Park

I flew into Christchurch, the largest city in New Zealand's South Island. It has distinctive English heritage, which is one of the things I love about the country in general. In places it looks and feels very similar to England (the language, verdant countryside, and expressways that are like the UK dual carriageways for example), but then you come across a volcano, mountain, or huge Pouwhenua carving and quickly remember you're on the other side of the planet. I only stayed for a couple of days, before buying a Kiwi Experience pass and taking the coach to Kaikoura. It's a gorgeous town where the Seaward Kaikoura Range forms a stunning backdrop. It's famed for its marine wildlife amongst other things, and I went on a whale-watching boat trip during which I saw sperm whales, dolphins, seals, albatrosses and even a humpback! We made stops at Blenheim, Picton, Nelson, Westport and Greymouth before reaching Franz Josef on the west coast. From here you can visit two nearby glaciers, Fox and Franz Josef. I took a scenic helicopter flight of the latter, which the brochure clearly stated, "includes a snow landing." Despite this crucial piece of information, I had chosen shorts and trainers as my outfit for the occasion. The flight was thrilling, the views spectacular, and during the landing the (actual) pilot took one of my all time favourite photographs (it makes me look like the pilot). But what the casual observer would never guess is that my feet were freezing cold and wet through!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argentina 2019 - Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego

England 2010 - The Peak District