Wales 2020 - Snowdonia

View of Lakes Glaslyn and Llyn Llydaw, Mount Snowdon

With travel restrictions in place for most countries and quarantine rules subject to change at short notice, international travel is on hold for a while. So I'm taking this opportunity to further explore the U.K. From the Midlands I'm well situated to branch out on road trips to some of the region's most dramatic landscapes. For my latest trip I drove to Llanberis in north Wales, and pitched up at a peaceful, no-frills campsite perfectly located for access to the nearby Mount Snowdon. After a night toasting marshmallows, and poking at my campfire I awoke early and took the bus to Pen-y-Pass Car Park. Several routes up the mountain begin here. I'd planned to follow the Miner's Track, which winds its way around pristine lakes, and through jagged peaks, before a steep, craggy climb up to a ridge and the summit. From there I followed the Llanberis Path down the other side and back into the village. It was a stunning hike from start to finish, and easily amongst the top 5 walks I've done during my lifetime. The following day I stopped off for breakfast in Conwy. I took a pasty, coffee and cake from a great little bakery and sat on the quay outside the Smallest House in Great Britain. The back end of August saw heavy rainfall and severe storms, so I'd been stuck at home for over a week waiting for a window to do this trip. I chose the days perfectly, since it didn't rain from the moment I set off until the moment I arrived back on my doorstep, at which point the heavens opened! 




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argentina 2019 - Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego

England 2010 - The Peak District