England 2021 - The National Forest

I discovered this place last year, when looking for somewhere nearer home to walk and camp. I'd been exploring the area for a while before spotting my first deer. For me the experience was spectacular, partly because it was so unexpected. It was back in spring, whilst walking down a grassy, bluebell carpeted trail with fern bordered woodland to my left and right. The dull thump of something heavy making contact with the ground caught my attention, as it was notably different to the more common rustling of squirrels in the bushes, and the scratching of their claws against the bark as they scurry up trees. I looked to my right, and glimpsed a single male (I know that because I've since looked it up) moving slowly through the birches. We both froze and made momentary eye contact, before he turned and walked away deeper into the woods. There was no fear, he didn't bolt as many other animals have on subsequent encounters. Ever since learning of their presence, I take care to walk especially softly and slowly through the forest, and moving in this manner I enjoy sightings most days. Sometimes they're alone, sometimes in pairs or groups. I'm having difficulty deciding if the larger species are Roe  or Sika, maybe there are both. There are definitely Muntjac too, these are much easier to differentiate due to their much smaller size. I've also heard their distinctive, banshee-like barking during nights out wild camping, which was terrifying at the time since I was unaware deer inhabited the forest, let alone anything about their behaviour and characteristics. My daily strolls are always a pleasure, but recently I can't help feeling a little disappointed if I complete my route without running into them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argentina 2019 - Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego

England 2010 - The Peak District